I apologize for being silent on here as of late. We had a rather dramatic turn of events that has kept me quite occupied. I had been busy getting some does ready for fall shows, securing winter hay, drying vegetables....
Then in the afternoon of July 29, Faith and Lace had a bit of a scuffle. Not unusual since they both consider themselves herd queen. Later that evening as I did barn chores I noticed that Lace was limping a bit. I assumed that she hurt it in the scuffle and that all would be well in the morning. The next morning she was still limping, but was still able to jump up on the milkstand. Her milk was nearly all gone....which let me know that there was something more than just a twisted ankle. I moved her to the day spa so that I could keep a close eye on her. As the day progressed, she used the leg less and less. I examined her toes, pastern, knee...I couldn't find any swelling. I figured she was bruised badly and gave her a bit of banamine to make her more comfortable. The next day was more of the same, somehow I knew there was something else going on...but I just could not figure out what to do for her.
Early morning on August 1, Lace was down in her rear. Over the course of the next 24 hours her symptoms became more dramatic, and her temperature went up. We started intensive antibiotic therapy, steroids, and round the clock fluids. It's been round the clock sitting with her, giving her fluids and medications, praying, weeping.....and then finally on Wednesday, after the introduction of a THIRD antibiotic; one that is very powerful and could destroy her kidneys....I decided I just could not give her any more injections. Thursday she had no pharmacuticals of any kind; only the herbal treatments that I had been doing in conjunction with the meds. Friday was the same except for a low oral dose of pain reliever. She's now able to eat and drink on her own, she's alert, and ready to get moving.
Yesterday Bob installed a barn cam so that we can watch her closely without having to run outside every 20 minutes. This is freeing up a bit of my time for other things, which is wonderful! The barn cam will be a welcome addition during kidding season as well!
Lace has always had a bit of a compromised immune system. She is CAE negative, but I believe that her immune problems are a direct result of over vaccinating that was done during her first year of life. We do not vaccinate our herd, nor will I vaccinate our herd. We use the herbs that God gave us for healing, and have done much better with them than reaching for a shot every time something goes off. If we trust in the Lord for healing, then we must trust that He made the herbs for our good health and well being. Of course God also gave us a brain to know when medical intervention is needed. Lace's delicacy has never been passed on to her kids. She has always delivered triplets or quads and several are still in the herd or they are with folks we keep touch with. She has strong and healthy kids so what ever health issues she has is not something genetic.
We are going to continue to treat her as long as she wants to live. I've been praying fervently for her to have a full recovery and I have faith that it will happen....but it will take some time. She turned 6 in April, so she should still have a long and productive life ahead. For now please pray for her, it is a miracle that she is still with us....and we need another miracle to get her on her feet!


4 comments:
We will keep you in our prayers.
Wow. I sure hope she gets to feeling better, really soon. With all the effort you've put into helping her through this... there's just nothing inside me that makes me feel like she won't make it. But she's NOT making it without you. That's for sure. Hang in there. Keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you Amy and Weldr....we've constructed a sling to put her into so that we can begin restoring circulation to her legs. This is such a difficult recovery but she is working harder and harder every day. Thank you for your prayers!
Doc Sue is on the case, fear not!! Am so grateful she was with you when this happened, am thinking i never would have been able to pull her thru. Many, MANY thanks for all your effort, love, and attention. you da woman!!!!
Post a Comment