Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Brooders

I was at the grocery store a few weeks ago, and they had some rubbermaid containers marked down to $1 each.  I keep these things around for brooding our newly hatched poultry and couldn't resist the bargain.
Usually we just use a piece of wire on the top to keep the chicks in and to hold the light fixture.  But this time I came up with an idea that would do both and take up less space.
First I used my angle grinder to cut the lids...
Essentially it leaves a frame to attach wire to...
Then Bob got an idea to build a rack for the brooders...
They usually take up a lot of space in the mudroom, his idea was to build shelves to sit them on...
And they turned out great!
There's a shelf on top for storage, and space underneath for the really big brooders.
Gotta love having a pile of free scrap wood and a creative husband!

4 comments:

MyAdventure;MyLife said...

These are great!!! I'm going to show them to Eric!

Kelly said...

AWESOME!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh. My. God. I'm busting up so much, I've had to wait to type. I made Dwayne come look! He fell out! " That's awesome! How does she come up with all this stuff?! "

Queenacres said...

This one was kind of easy since we were tripping over brooders every day. 4-5 brooders spread out in a 10X12 mudroom leaves very little floorspace for all my other junk. :)
I just don't know why we hadn't thought of it sooner!