Spring has certainly sprung here. Flowers are in full bloom...including the beautiful Redbud trees.
I have a friend that has a whole hedgerow of Redbud trees and was invited to pick all the flowers I needed.
Redbuds contain antioxidants, are easy to pick, and make beautiful jelly. Their flavor is kindof like a mild grape with a little "green" flavor. To add a bit more punch to the flavor I decided to add a bit of apple juice. It worked out very well!
I will mention to you, you want to pick the flowers at the peak of bloom. Even if you won't have time to make jelly for a few days, that's fine...but pick them at their peak.
We picked these on Tuesday, and I just kept them in a twist-tie bag in the fridge until I could get to them today. There's about 1/2 gallon of flowers...
Rinse them and strain them well to remove any dirt or hitchhikers....
In a large stainless steel pot with 4 cups of water, and I added lemon juice.
I would have preferred to add fresh-squeezed lemon juice...a lemon's worth....but I didn't have any and wasn't making a special trip to the store for it.
So I added 2 capfuls of bottled lemon juice...
Bring the water and lemon juice just to a boil....and add the flowers. Put a lid on the pot and turn the heat down to a low simmer. Steep for 20 minutes, then drain. I'll feed the steeped flowers to the pigs...
Strain the juice through a cheesecloth, then return the juice to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce it by about a third...
This left me with about 2 1/2 cups of the redbud infusion, I added enough unsweetened apple juice to make 4 cups. Add 1 package of powdered pectin and bring to a boil. Add 5 1/2 cups of sugar, stirring it in slowly.....and bring it to a rapid boil that can not be stirred down.
Boil for 2 minutes, then ladle into jars.
I processed the jars for 5 minutes in a BWB.
The flavor is wonderful....like lightly perfumed apples.
And the color is pretty too!








1 comment:
Ohhh, WOW! I have never heard about this before! I HAVE to try this! Thanks a bunch!
I only hope our Redbuds come out this year. We went back into the freeze just as all the Jane Magnolias hit peak bloom. They have simply turned brown on the trees, without even falling to the ground. So heartbreaking!!
Post a Comment