Thursday, March 21, 2013

Bucks and Bellies

This week started with a 10-hr round trip to go pick up one of my favorite does.  Tina lived with us for a couple of years, but when I had to split the herd 2 years ago she went on to do some bigger and better things.  And she did.  My long time readers may remember her...she was our "supermodel" goat.  She has the most elegant gait...like a supermodel on a runway.
She is stunning when she is at her peak.  Unfortunately she had a difficult kidding this year and has lost too much weight.  She needs some TLC, which seems to be what we specialize in.  :)
Soooo, I loaded up the truck and went south.
She's home now, and so far so good.  Personally I think she's happy to be home again.  I know I'm happy to have her here.
Meanwhile bellies and tempers are growing.  Moon Pie is getting huge.  She's making me nervous.  I'm trying to psych myself up for this kidding....expecting either a couple of elephant kids or a tangled group of kids.  In the meantime, she's still growing...with 4 weeks to go.
Her half-sister Glory is growing as well.  I expect kids anytime from her.  Glory, Genesis, and Gidget were Lace's grand finale kidding.  Of all Lace's kids....Glory reminds me the most of her dam.  Glory is bred to Sparta for kids that are linebred on Lace.  I expect spectacular silver babies...
And oh my.  My dear, sweet, gentle Farrah...
She's such a darling girl, sugar wouldn't melt in her mouth.  Until this week when the pregnancy hormones have taken over.  Holy cow I've never seen such a change in personality....
She's T-Boned every goat here from Faith down to the monster kids.  Which earned her an all-expense-paid ticket to the day spa.  Maybe some quiet mommy time and aroma therapy (piney woods scent ala pine shavings) will help.
On Tuesday I helped a friend trim feet on her bucks and got their paperwork in order.  This is Troy, who happens to be Sparta's brother. 
Handsome fella, isn't he?  And here he is with his buddy FauxPaus.  FauxPaus was born here, but raised at her farm.  He's moving on to another herd and stopped by here for a foot touch up before he made the trip...
It's been a regular buck chinese firedrill here.  FauxPaus went to his new home, Troy went back to his home, and we also sent our yearling buck, Beaux home with Troy....
He'll be working in her herd this fall...so he'll have plenty of time to settle in.
It's left things a bit quiet here, we're down to 3 adult bucks now.  Pete is feeling much better after his sickness last week. 
He still needs to gain some weight, but we'll be doing that slowly over the summer.  I had to do some foot work on Ditto too; I guess it's just that time of year.  The bucks are tired from working all winter and need some TLC...
I have already done Manny's feet this month, he's in great shape.  Our other buck is up and coming....he looks really good so far...but time will tell.  This is him, "Hairy" aka Prince Hairy (on the left).  You can almost see his spots in this picture...
Busy day ahead today too.  Saturday we made the drive to the pig farm and picked out our 2013 pigs.  They were being castrated Monday and today we pick them up. 

3 comments:

MyAdventure;MyLife said...

Where do you go to get your pigs? We're not ready for one but it's come up in conversation a few times and it's something I think we will try in the future. Also, I'm wanting more ducks. Do you have any to sell or know where I could get some? I could go back to Tractor Supply but I would like to know what I'm getting.

Unknown said...

My head is swimming. How many dry-eraser boards do you own? LOL !!!

Queenacres said...

Weldr I actually have 2 of them. LOL but a LOT of notebooks!