We've had a number of warm days and once again my chickens are coming to life giving us an abundance of eggs every day. Once this cycle starts, I begin freezing batches of eggs on a weekly basis (sometimes more often). It's a pretty simple procedure.
First - start with only the very freshest home grown eggs. I would wonder about the safety of doing this with store bought eggs.
Most of my baking and cooking needs call for 3 eggs, so this is the volume I use most often. Keep in mind there are big differences in egg sizes...but I've never had a recipe turn out bad from having an extra egg.
Beat the eggs well. If you have strings of white or yolk, they will turn out rubbery when you go to use them. Just be sure to beat the eggs thoroughly until frothy...
You will need containers for freezing. I use just about anything that is flexible so that the egg can be popped out once frozen. The container needs to be very clean, spray with a vinegar or bleach solution and let sit for 5 minutes before rinsing. You don't want any hitchiking bacteria riding into this party...
Next is one of the most important steps. You MUST spray the containers well with a non-stick cooking spray. Ask me how I know.
Then it's just a matter of pouring the number of beaten eggs you want to save into their respective containers. I prefer to put them all onto a baking sheet or bus pan then sit the whole thing in the freezer. Leave them overnight.
The next part involves one of my absolute favorite kitchen appliances.....my Food Saver.
Pop the frozen block of egg out of the container, and place in a food saver bag and seal. Be sure that you mark each package with the # of eggs contained, and a date.
I have a plastic shoebox in the freezer that holds all the bags of eggs...it's easier to find them that way. These are great for holiday baking....and they will get us through the winter when the hens are no longer laying. I have no idea what the shelf life is on them, but I have used some that had been frozen 18 months without ill effects.







2 comments:
This is a great idea and I'm going to try it. Not to be stupid, but I'm assuming you just pull out what you need and thaw on the counter, or in the fridge?
I just pull out and thaw them on the counter. Once they are squishy, I cut the corner of the bag and squeeze the eggs out.
Post a Comment