Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My favorite tool...

The shepherd's hook is without a doubt the handiest things I use around the homestead.  Sure, a shovel is the right tool if you are digging a hole.  And I wouldn't be without my 4 long-tined rake when it comes to cleaning the barn...

But when it comes to something I use most every day....it's this...

It used to look better.  A long time ago.  But this poor thing has been left out in the rain, sun, sleet....you get the idea.  In other words, it has been well-used!  When it's rainy I use it as a cane to keep from falling.  I have used the hooked end to catch smartellec goats when they dart through the gate.  I have used it like a pool stick when it comes to rat killin in the barn.  I have used it as a correction tool for a wayward LGD pup (NO not to beat it, but to poke it on the butt and get it's attention).  I've used it the same way for goats that get too pushy (which, by the way, is most of my herd). 
It's really a beautiful piece of equipment.  Well, it was at one point. Now instead of a fine piece of bent wood, the top looks like this...
I have left it out in the rain so much that it's lost it's bend.  No matter, it still works like a champ. 
We modified the other end immediately upon purchase.  Bob happened to have one of those rubber furniture cap thingys that fit perfectly over the end.  Very handy as a no-slip device.  :)
This morning my normally hour long job of barn chores was compounded by 11º weather turning it into a 3 hour job.  I can't tell you how great it was to have this tool.  It kept me from falling many times on the ice, broke up the ice in the water buckets, and quite frankly, is like having an old friend by my side while I work in this insane weather.  It is a rod and staff...

Psalms 23:4
......thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

2 comments:

Mama Mess said...

Stay safe! I like this post!

by Chickory Blossom said...

oddly, you don't mention using it to correct wayward sons....oh, that's right, you have a spoon for that!