Friday, February 25, 2011

Happy Happy Update and Continuing Through the Garden....

I am cautiously optimistic that Happy is on the mend!  Her liver and kidney function are well within normal ranges.....SOOO I will be continuing with the herbal therapies and my tonic and we'll see how she follows along.  It was such a relief to know that she has hope!  I really think that the cleansing therapy is doing her some good, but I will couple the homeopaths with some traditional meds just to keep all the bases covered.

Lots of things on the list to do this week!  For now I'll continue figuring out where the garden survivors are and what needs to be done.  There's no doubt that my poor little barrel water garden needs a complete overhaul.  It froze solid.  Twice.
It resides under the canopy....which also needs a complete overhaul.  We spend many hours during the warmer months under that canopy....talking, playing games, drying herbs, planting, drinking coffee, scarfing BBQ....it's our "kitchen table" outside.  Kinda desolate out there right now.
My small garden spot is pretty desolate this time of year as well.  Only a few stubborn cabage remain.  But I know that in a matter of a few months there will be a beautiful cucumber canopy covering that fence and gait...and the bed will be full of yummy things growing.  That's the plan, anyway.
The big project on the front of the house is the larger watergarden and the wisteria....
It doesn't look too bad from here....but look at the close-up!
Many of the other plants are a "wait-and-see".....we just don't know if they survived the winter.  The horseradish died back 2 months ago.  I thought about digging it up, but then ended up leaving it in the ground for the winter.  We'll see if it sprouts up when it warms.
The raspberry vines are still dormant and/or dead.
My biggest heartbreaker is my grapevine.  I pruned it too severely last year and I'm afraid I've done it in.  We'll know in a few weeks....
And the jury is still out on the Lemon Grass.  I sure hope this comes back....I love cooking with this stuff!
The Pear Tree is starting to get little plump buds....so I do think there is hope for it...
My beautiful Joseph's Coat Rose has stayed green all winter!  Silly thing should have napped when it had the chance!
And the garlic is doing great.  We've been harvesting all winter and still have lots to grow this year...
This will be the 10th year for our Rosemary hedge.  It needs a bit of pruning and a bit of manure tea and should be good to go for another year....
Over the next few weeks and months I'll be drooling over my boxes, bags, and jars of seeds....and try to make a garden plan.
In the meantime, we're still working with these little sprouts.....19 poults in all now, with more eggs incubating.  Look how fast they've grown!
I thank God every day for each of His blessings, and try not to take anything for granted.

5 comments:

Mama Mess said...

I'm so relieved Happy is on the mend! My little water feature has been frozen since December, like an idiot, I didn't get it emptied and moved into the garage in time. I'm sure the pump is ruined, so I'll just plant flowers in it!

You've got lots of projects planned, as do we, now we just need the weather to get them all done!

Glad you liked the hog hut idea, can't wait to see if you build one too!

God Bless!

Alla said...

Glad Happy is doing better.You have lots of projects planned as do I. I love spring! I've had a couple of nice days to be outside this week but it's back to the cold and cloudy and nice to stay inside weather today. So inside projects today. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Oh, hooray for Happy! Prayers for continued progress.
I wish I had 1/3 of your energy. I get exhausted just reading your to-do list. You are my inspiration to "Get moving"!
Thank you for an educational blog!

Unknown said...

Hang tight! If you can find the slightest bump anywhere along what's left of your grapevine... you'll get lucky! You should prune your grapevines during the second half of January. Your Horseradish will be okay. Not sure about your raspberries. I know that they make it up here with no problem. The Lemongrass should come back. It acts a lot like all your ornamental grasses. And when it comes to your garlic... You make me sick, Woman! LOL

~*~ Shar ~*~ said...

I'm glad Happy has shown some progress. Prayers for her to have a full recovery.