Friday, March 4, 2011

Things To Do, Things Done, and Anxiously Awaiting.....

Still on my to-do list....is to use this cream separator....loaned to me by a wonderful friend.....
I have kept out the minimum 2 gallon requirement for goat milk.  I have kept it in the refrigerator for the 2 days....all as per the instructions.  NOW if I can get over the fear of this machine and actually have the time to do it.  Things are still way too busy to take time out to learn something new.  But it will happen.  Soon.

At least I have my first batch of buttermilk of the year in the works....

Today we planted potatoes.....I am using a method I used years ago when we lived in town.  It works well in a small area if you have a lot of leaves.  I started with a bunch of sprouted potatoes...
I cut them into chunks that have a growing eye....and put them on a heafty layer of leaves.  Next I will layer more leaves, and keep adding as the sprouts grow.....but we are expecting rain tonight.
So I will wait to cover them until the rains have cleared....or else they may rot.  Here's the finished bed with the potatoes planted.  I can unclip the plastic netting and pull it back to harvest potatoes....or to add more leaves, which I will do as the sprouts grow.


We have sent our annual bloodwork off for CAE testing of our goats, the results will be here by morning.  It is always an anxious time, because these test results reveal how careful I have been with our herd.  We have also included a pregnancy test for Ellie Mae....we'll have those results next week.  If Ellie is not pregnant, then our kidding season will end with Silly's freshening.  If she is pregnant...then we should get April off and kid for the last of the season in May.

5 comments:

Mama Mess said...

I had a manual cream seperator and it was nice. I sold it last year when we thought we were going to move, but I got a lot of cream out if my milk from it.

Unknown said...

Pine Needles work great with potatoes, Susan! You should hit Temple-Inland up!!!

Alla said...

I used to have a manual cream sepeator too. At the time my daughter and I were milking 20 goats and we separated the milk to sell cream and butter and we sold whole milk. It worked so good. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Tonia said...

Interesting on the potatoes!!!... I havent ever had the chance to use a cream separator.

Queenacres said...

WeldrBrat, if I need pine needles I only have to go to my neighbors. We are in the "Piney Woods" of East Texas. Only my husband picked a piece of land without a single pine tree on it. He hates them. LOL We have all hardwoods. But Pine Needles, I can get all I want just by walking around with a wheelbarrow and rake :)