It seems as if our unrelenting heat is gone for a time. We have wildfires all around us, but I will not be defeated. We need to grow some things. I'm not looking to grow a years' worth of vegetables....but by golly I am looking to grow SOMETHING!
The greenhut is up, but all of our beautiful garden soil is as dry as ash. Giving it moisture without washing away nutrients will be a challenge. We spent a good bit of the day working on it, tilling it....adding dolomite....and adding a lot of the good rich soil from the chicken yard. The problem is that our beautiful rich soil is dry. Bone dry. It's dust. So for the next few days I will be running the soaker hoses on it at a mere trickle to see if we can get some life back into it.
In the meantime, I am planting seeds and filling the greenhouse. It will be wonderful to look inside this door and actually see life. It will come. I have faith that we can get this going before the winter sets in!


1 comment:
Peat moss. And I'd even go ahead and try turning a big bottle of those hydro pellets into that garden bed. Up front initial investment. But you'll keep yourself from grief next year, Hon. I just have this funny feeling we're all in for a dry rut for the next few years.
Post a Comment