Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Canning List...

We're moving along on the potatoes.....about 60# done on Monday turned out to be 44 jars....
We have another 30# in the canner right now....and will follow up with the last 30# tomorrow.  In the midst of all these potatoes, the corned beef has finished it's cure.  We cooked a big chunk of it for supper last night, accompanied by 1 and a half head of cabbage and a quart of these potatoes that didn't seal properly...Good stuff indeed!  This morning we vac sealed the remaining pieces of corned beef and got them into the freezer.  Except for 1.

I am saving a single chunk to can....which is something I've never done.  I am hoping that it maintains it's lovely flavor and that I will be able to turn it into a quick corned beef hash.  No way of knowing unless I take the plunge and do it....so that is on the canning adgenda for the week as well. 

I had to make a quick run to the store yesterday, and found 6 packages of baby Bella mushrooms marked down for quick sale.  I used to find these frequently, and can or dry them as soon as I bring them home....but it has been a long time since I have found them.  We LOVE mushrooms!  Not only are they very tasty, but they are a cancer inhibitor.  They are very good for you!  With these 6 pounds of baby bellas, first I washed them thoroughly to get the ick off....

Take a look at those fat beauties!  It seems a shame to not use them fresh.  Next I cut them into thick slabs.  Remember that mushrooms shrink considerably when canned, so you want nice thick slices....

Then they go into a boiling pot of soaking solution....1 capsule of Vit C in a big pot of water.  They need to boil for about 5 minutes.  This step keeps them from browning too bad, and keeps them from floating in the jars. 

I'm tellin ya....that is a pan of love! 
I use the boiling juice as the liquid in the jars....it saves me from having to open another C cap....but if you want clear liquid and pretty mushrooms make fresh soaking solution to add to the jars.  I was able to make 5 pints with the 6 packages of mushrooms....



2 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

Um, i haven't managed to get to potatoes this year, and it looks like you have a mess of them....i'll swap ya something....

Tonia said...

Looks and sounds good!!!