Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Progress in the Hut

If the great seedling start is any indication....we should have a nice little fall garden.  We have already moved pumpkin and corn starts to the garden bed.  Unfortunately the corn was obliterated on the first day.  In the first hour as a matter of fact.  I did reluctantly poke some more corn seeds directly into the garden yesterday, but I don't plan on actually having any survive.  I have been planting with our Thanksgiving meal in mind.  I LOVE home-grown Thanksgivings and it seems that we have much to be thankful for this year.  So far surviving in the garden is a few pumpkin sprouts.  If we get 2 or 3 pumpkins to harvest for seed I'll be thrilled.  We use pumpkin seed as a natural wormer for the poultry and goats.  We'll see if these little guys grow fast enough to develop before we get frosts....
As far as sprouting herbs, the only thing up so far is Thyme.....
I have several squash varieties coming up as well.....and yes, I was even hopeful enough to plant cucumbers!

The big bean pot is full of life.  I'm planning to just let them grow in the greenhut and see what we get....
And the beets are coming up like crazy!  I am the only one here that likes beets.....but that's okay.  I am growing them to can for later....and for making pickled eggs.
Of course the best pickled eggs are quail eggs.....and when I had the chance to buy some quail, I jumped at it.  They are still settling in, they've only been here about 10 days or so.  These are A&M Jumbo Quail and we got a dozen of them 2 males and 10 females.  No eggs yet, but I expect some within another week or 2. 

We are also expecting baby rabbits soon!  One of the females looks suspiciouly round....and has been really protective over their deflated box.....

Also very round is our Thanksgiving Dinner guest of honor, TBird.....looking handsomly delicious...

Yep, we have lots to be thankful for this year.  I can't wait for Rylan to enjoy his first Thanksgiving feast, and to teach him that every day is a gift. 




2 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

speaking of "looking handsomely delicious..." smooch that baby for me!!!

Unknown said...

I'd never considered the idea of tomatoes showing under my grapevines after throwing shavings from the chicken coop for mulch. But it happened. Thought... " Surely they won't get anything out of this corn that the raccoons half-way left laying on the ground. " They had corn come up in the big yard, until Dwayne weed-eated. You and I, both, know how it got there. LOL I KNOW you can stick some in the ground and get it going!!!