Then we had a gate failure. Manny managed to escape and run with the girls for a few minutes (which is all it takes) This happened on:
Set 14
Oct 15
Oct 19
and then on Nov 23 BOTH Manny & Pete escaped (that should be interesting)
and then on Dec 14 I released Frodo as a clean up buck since the 2 does I'd been trying to breed with him all year came into heat again.
So even though I have the dates, it's all just a guessing game from now till June 2. *ugh* Looks like I'll be having a lot of sleepless nights, recharging barn moniter batteries, possible DNA testing, and many little surprises. Happy thoughts? Probably. Sometime in September I should finally get enough milk to make cheese (rather than putting it into goat kids).
I was really looking forward to the kids from Manny X Lace and was very pleased for sure! Now I'm not sure which breeding I'm looking forward to the most....but here's the buck (Frodo)
at 4 months...
at 8 months in his winter suit..
The first doe is Pie..she's Lace's daughter and really matured over the winter. I'm hoping that Frodo will tighten the shoulder and put a little ear length on the kids, while maintaining Pie's dairy character and udder width. I can't wait to see these kids!
And then there is Fiona. Fiona is the only Faith daughter in our herd. Faith's kiddings are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get. Except milk. You can be assured that you will get a LOT of milk from her daughters; every one of them out produce their herdmates. Nevertheless, Fiona is the oddball of the herd. I happen to love oddballs, and her mother is my favorite of all....
One thing's for sure, the Good Lord will bless us with what He knows we need; it's our job to keep up!
Oh, and we have decided to sell one of our yearling does. She will be 1 year old on March 25. She really is a very nice doe, but since I have her sister I've decided to let her go. She should be a great homestead milker, she's been exposed to a buck but I'm not sure if she's bred. Her sire is Pete and her dam is Cilly.





3 comments:
Make sure you don't have any fall-outs with the camera!!! I wanna seeeee! LOL
Happy Thoughts, indeed!!
i was just wondering if you had started having them for next year already ;o)
excellent shot of Miss Moon Pie, btw.
Yes, as a matter of fact...I have a chart and everything. My only obstacle is that the goats need to learn how to read!
Post a Comment