Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Meet Apache and Reserve

We LOVE Anatolian Shepherd Dogs as Livestock Guardians and family protectors.  After owning and training German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years I never thought I would find a working breed that I loved training and working as much.....but that was before Aegis (ASD 1).
We bred Aegis a couple of years ago and kept the litter pick, Koruma (ASD 2).  After raising and training Koruma for about a year, we placed her in a very good working home; where she is now a sheep guardian.
About a year or so ago I was offered another ASD puppy, this one is the nephew of Aegis.  Epoch came here at a couple of months of age and we've been training him for about a year.  He is our 3rd experience with the breed.
This week we had the opportunity to aquire 2 female ASDs....related to Epoch on his dam's side.  They are about 6 weeks old, and are already very promising pups.

This was taken just a few minutes after their arrival.  That's Reserve on the left, and Apache on the right.  Reserve is smooth coated, Apache is a long coat.
They settled in nicely last night....they got a good bath (just to make sure they didn't bring in fleas), a dose of herbal wormer, and a big bowl of dog food mixed with goat milk and fresh eggs.  I think Reserve approves of the new menu....
Today they have been busy wrestling each other in the sunshine...
There is nothing like watching puppies playing together....
Can you feel the love?
Apache will get a bit of training, and a lot of fresh goat milk....before going to live with her new owner.  She will be Rylan's dog when they get into their new home next month.
Not only are ASDs excellent livestock guards, they are wonderful family protection and companion dogs....
Reserve will stay here and we'll train her to watch over goats, poultry, and people. 
I have no doubt that the road that led me to this marvelous breed has been a work of the Lord.  It is not a breed I would have chosen, it was a breed that was sent to us.

3 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

You are never gonna believe this, but in the early hours this morning (insomnia,) i told the story of how we came by Aegis, George and Ralph. Looking for pics and posting in a moment.

These two are beauties!! Congrats on the new addition!

Queenacres said...

Don't forget Rumi and Gideon in the story as well!

Tonia said...

If I had room for an LGD it woudl be a ASD. They are beautiful dogs and I like how they can protect the whole deal not just livestock. I have a friend that has 3-4 cant remember.. One is a house dog since she is a single mom raising 2 girls. Absolutely beautiful dogs..