Saturday, August 18, 2012

Moving Forward

I may have to be locked up in a padded cell soon.  This up and down emotional roller coaster ride Lace has me on is starting to drive me a bit crazy.  After fearing the worst last night, this morning Lace was much stronger and in a better frame of mind.  She was so much stronger in fact, that she stayed in the sling for a record 6 hours before tiring out completely.
Let me tell you a bit about Lace.  In case you haven't noticed by now, she is one tough cookie.  Yea she has always had a weakened immune system...but that's all that's ever been weak on this girl.  This is a doe that popped out QUAD kids in about 20 minutes back in Jan.  Having triplets and quads is her specialty...and she puts lovely breed character and milkability into every one (well, not the bucks). 

Lace can also give you the 'stink-eye' better than any goat I know.  If she gets mad at you, she turns into a mule in a heartbeat.  Determined and stubborn, that's Lace.  I'm sure that's why she is still with us...
Now she has determined that she wants OUT of the stall.  I have had to close the stall door to keep her in there.  When I do open the stall door to adjust her sling or give her a few leaves to chew on...she tries to make a mad dash.  It's like a racehorse at the starting gate...
Of course she gets nowhere real fast since her rear legs are still non operational.  But deep down inside she is trampling right over me.  Until she stops for a drink...
Big progress today.  She can stand on her front end for extended periods.  I can't believe this is the same goat I was looking at yesterday.  It's been 3 weeks since she has been able to support her own weight for more than a minute or two....until today.  I will keep working as long as she wants to continue.  I pray that one day she will trample over me!

1 comment:

by Chickory Blossom said...

Thank you so much for all you are doing. Words will never express.

And as to the "breed character" that she puts into her kids...don't forget that Sparkin' Sparta is a Lace baby. And we KNOW that he has lots of character.

Or he IS a character.

I'm not sure which.