Thursday, March 14, 2013

5 Minutes..Tops!

5 mins at a time is the most I have on my computer these days!  With 10 goat kids, chicks everywhere, laying hens invading the neighbor's garden (wait, that's a different post), first fresheners screaming like banshees, fences to build, and so on.
I'm not complaining, I love staying busy.  I go stir crazy if it gets too quiet.
I'm just offering excuses for being absent.
I spent a while this morning sorting quail.  I'm culling all of my old quail roos and moving in the new ones that I got at the gamebird farm back in Feb.  We should start seeing more eggs soon now that the weather is warming up.
I also moved Joy's babies to the monster pen.  They are down to 2 milk feedings a day and were hogging the milk from the tiny kids...so now they are full-fledged monster kids with Rita and Holly..
The dogs get upset every time I move the babies around....and sulk in the walkway.  Nothing like a couple of hundred pound dawgs pretending to be speed bumps.
There's a lot going on in the greenhut too.  The mint is growing like crazy and I'm going to harvest more of it pretty soon.  This is a lovely sweet mint...perfect for tea!
One of the great things about aquaponics is there's no dirt to wash off the plants when you harvest....
And everything has a clean, clear flavor.  I really want to grow leeks in the big growbed this year, imagine fresh leeks without all the sand!  The celery that I planted is getting pretty tall too, I'll probably cut it in a week or so, and then replant the base and see if it will grow for a third time.
And I did manage to get the garden fence done....I think it has a lot of character..
I still need to tie down the arch and make a gate.  Not bad for a bunch of scrap wood in the hands of someone that's never built a wooden fence before!
It keeps the dogs out of the garden, and is sturdy enough that I could tie a goat to it if needed.
I'm ready to get it all finished and get some planting done!

2 comments:

MyAdventure;MyLife said...

I may try the celery trick

Unknown said...

So much fun watching you put all this together. I keep imagining all the color that will be seeping over and through that fencing! Gonna be fun!