Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Could it be? I think I smell it! SPRING!!!

We've had several warm days in a row now and I just can't help but think that spring is alllmmooossstt here!
I have decided that like last year, all of my landscaping will be done with edible plants.  Last year it didn't turn out so well because I got really lazy.  But not THIS year!

The first thing we did was to close off the browse pen from the goats.  I planted 40 pounds of forage seed and we're giving it a few weeks to get started before we open it back up.  The forages include wild oats, turnips, clovers, as well as several other varieties.  It should be a smorgasbord for sure!

This is the next area that is getting attention.
This is the area between the driveway and the goat yard.  It gets full sun, convenient to water and weed, and now that Bob has redoing all the gates, it should be goat proof.
Then we have another area that goes from the driveway that goes into the dog's yard.  Eventually there will be a gate there that enters the yard (rather than the big pallette at the end of the yard).

The piggy got moved from his rabbit cage to a small pen.  Here he can root and get more exercise.  He's still not big enough to go into the big pig pen....and the big pig pen needs a bit of work first.
And Bob has come up with the best inventions this year.  First we have the "Shut-me-not"....it works for the kid barn door and for their stall door.  It keeps the kids from closing the doors and locking themselves out of the barn or stall....

That top is a crossbar and on each end is a pin that goes into the 2x4 on the wall and the 2x4 on the gate....and keeps the door from opening or closing all the way.

Then there's the ingenious "Flip-me-not"....inspired by a friend's comment about goats flipping their lambar bucket....

It's just a piece of cattle pannel cut and twisted to do the job at hand....

And here is why we need such a device!  These guys (and gal) are less than 10 weeks old!

Good yard help is hard to find these days.

No comments: