These are single breasted Bronze heritage turkeys. They will be able to reproduce on their own and hopefully they will provide us with fresh turkey year round.
We have 25 other turkeys as well. We have an adult Royal Palm hen, hoping to find her a mate this year or she may be put with these turkeys until then. We also have 12 Broad Breasted Bronze and 12 Broad Breasted White turkey poults. These poults will all be in the freezer by Thanksgiving.
We are also able to raise our own pork. This year we've started with this guy....we'll be getting another pig tomorrow, then hopefully 2 more later in the Spring.
Our next doe ready to deliver is Silly. We moved her to the kidding stall and hope to have some more kids within the week.
We've been blessed that we can raise most of our meat. Everything is cared for, happy, and healthy. When the time comes, we do all of our own processing so that they do not have to go through the stress of being transported to a processor; and so that we know that they were killed as humanely as possible. Other than beef, we have not had to buy any meat from the grocery store since November 2009.





2 comments:
That's wonderful! I'm trying to talk The Paintiff into getting a hog, but with the cost of grain, I just don't know that it would be feasible. We buy a whole hog and a half beef from the locker every year. It's a lot cheaper than from the store, and at least with that I know it's from a local farmer.
Beautiful birds!
We have been trying for the past year or so to get us some good Bourbon Reds as breeders. Have kind of drug our feet on this, but I think it will happen this year. Hopefully.
I told Steven I'm willing to do turkeys, but at this point still not willing to do noisy geese.
Post a Comment