Monday, January 30, 2012

Fixing the Mud...and other ongoing projects

With the drastic lack of rain last year, I certainly am not complaining about the deluge of rain that we've had so far this year.  But the mud.  Oh my.  It gets to me.  It's poop soup folks, and slipping around with a bad knee is not a good combination.  So Friday I snapped, bit the bullet, called the garden center and by noon we had this pile delivered....
Three yards of river rock...and we're just getting started.  A few years ago we did some work on our septic leach field and had some gravel like this left over.  I used it to make a walking path along the end of the driveway.  The nicest thing about it is that it prevents mud when it rains. 
With this new load of gravel we were able to extend the path to the milking barn....
And with the purchase of 6 preformed pavers (total about $20) we made a cute little patio in front of the milking room....
Then on the opposite side where the greenhouse is....this is how it looked before...
and this is how it looks now....
We hit all of the gooey walking areas until the gravel was used up.  Of course this was some back breaking work using a shovel, rake, and wheelbarrow. 
Working in the back yard presents itself with it's own set of problems...
The really great news is that we sold all 3 of Faith's babies!!  The kid pen looks empty with only 3 kids in there.  I'm working on some goatie jungle gym stuff that I should have ready by the end of the week although  I'm not sure that Gidget is sold on the idea yet...
Speaking of kids....looks like Angel will be kidding this year after all.  That was not in my plans for the year, I was hoping she would have the year off since she had such a difficult kidding last year.  By the looks of that belly she's going for triplets again.
She is bred to either Manny or Pete, we won't know until they are born who the daddy is....and since we don't have a due date for her it will mean a lot of sleepless nights until they are safely on the ground.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain! We don't even call spring by that name here - it's known as "breakup" because all the ice breaks up, melts, and it's a sea of mud for at least a solid month. I'd love to have a BUNCH of that rock! We are still building and landscaping and clearing the land.

Your doe Gidget is adorable! What awesome ears - are they as long as they look?!?! Your helpers must be related to mine! lol!

Queenacres said...

Good luck Denise, it's a long process and every year is a new challenge...but it is SO worth the work!

Yes, Gidget's ears are that long, so are her sisters'. We only have Nubians, and we only have Nubians with a lot of breed character...I LOVE those long silky baby ears. :)

Tonia said...

I also need some of that gravel. At the gate going into my goat pen.. Its a massive pot of poo soup! Great pics it looks so nice and neat!!