I read a devotional each morning as I am waking up and getting ready for the day. This morning the teaching was to rejoice in the face of adversity. Find the joy in everything, after all if you are surrendered to God, then it is all for His teachings and Glory.
This morning as I went about doing my barn chores, my neighbor's dog was barking like crazy. I finally went out to see what was going on, since my dogs weren't interested. I saw what I thought was a mushroom in their side yard. I continued with my chores and the dog continued to bark. Finally I made my way through the gate and as I got closer to the "mushroom" I discovered that it was one of my quail. Frustrated, I approached the quail to catch it.....only to have it fly up and over the fence with the neighbor's dogs. That dog should be a frisbee dog, he caught that quail in his mouth like a pro baseball player catches a fly ball; and proceded to their back porch to enjoy his prey. I was a bit miffed, but the quail shouldn't have been in their yard.
I checked the quail cages to find that I had not properly closed one of the cages when I removed eggs this morning. I was even more upset when I discovered that the now munched quail was my favorite. She was actually trying to brood a nest....something I've never seen nor heard of in this breed. I was completely bummed.
So I continued with my chores, thinking and pondering on what had happened. I was angry with myself for not closing the cage. I was mad at the dog (even though he just did what dogs do). And that's when I remembered what I had read this morning. Rejoice in the face of adversity. Give it up to God's perfect plan. Learn from your mistakes and press on. So I stayed busy filling water buckets, feeding chickens, mending a fence.....
As I was approaching the gate to get feed for the pig, right there by the cucumber vine......was my little quail! She was a bit ruffled, covered in dog slobber....but alive!
So yes, Dear Lord. Lesson learned. Not only will I be more careful about closing cages, I will rejoice in the face of adversity! It's amazing what new things you can learn every day if you are open to His plan.

4 comments:
Oh, how wonderful! You learned a lesson and got your quail back. That's a better dog than one might have thought. Just wanted to play "catch".
Hmmm....dog barking at mushroom...for a second there i thought you were talking about Joey!
Oh wow that was close!!!
What a great lesson...
Post a Comment