Sunday, July 22, 2012

Turkey Tonic

Our 30 turkey poults are still doing well, although we have a few stragglers.  About 10 of the poults are smaller and weaker, so I have moved them to a different brooder.  I think they are just a bit behind due to the quality of the new bag of feed.  We've used this brand of Gamebird Starter (28%) for a few years with good success, but this bag of crumbles are not as fine a particle as usual.  There is no way that newly hatched quail would be able to eat this without further grinding.  So this afternoon I pulled out my little coffee grinder....
And turned the crumbles from this....
To this....
The smaller particle size should allow the weaker birds to get more into their crop.  Another thing I do with small and/or weak chicks is make a tonic to add to their water.  I use a couple tablespoons of honey...
a couple of tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar...
and a good pinch of cayenne...
Add just enough water so that the honey disolves well....
I use a Tablespoon or so in a quart sized chick waterer; along with a few drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract....I've seen it work wonders in sick or debilitated poultry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tips!!

Tonia said...

Thanks for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

I love it when you drop these sanity savers on everybody!! God knows... we've needed a few around here over the past month. Hope y'all are hanging in there. We finally got rain...and a new computer.

Queenacres said...

Glad to see you back online Weldr....I was wondering if you were okay!