Our quail have done very well this year. So well in fact that we lost track after 48 hatched. We're getting close to fall, so all of the roosters, ducks, turkeys, and quail that hatched during the spring are now ready for freezer camp; which is why I haven't had much blogging time. The breed of quail we are raising is the Cortunix...they are supposed to weigh 7-11 oz.
My friend and I planned to work on some of her roosters this morning, and I decided it was a good time to try our hand at processing quail. After picking a volunteer from the audience, making sure that I had chosen a male (I'm not ready to give up any of their eggs yet...they are too tasty)...I did a first for me. I dressed out the lovely little morsel. Dressed weight was a whopping 3 ounces....but he was one of the smallest.
Since I owed CB a lunch anyway, I grabbed a few banana peppers from the garden and griddled them with some onions to go with a nice sliced steak and all wrapped in a tortilla.
I've never eaten quail, and neither had CB. Keep in mind we raise these birds for their eggs. They are fantastic layers and I love pickled quail eggs. Because I wanted to be sure and taste the meat, I simply butterflied the bird and lightly coated it with olive oil. It took about 8 mins or so on the grill and this is what we got...
Never in my wildest dreams did I realize how tasty these little creatures are! A fine delicacy indeed! CB agreed and then decided that she needs to raise some quail as well. You can see for yourself how much we enjoyed it...
1 comment:
Quail is my new favorite meat!!!
Post a Comment