Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New Flock

A couple of weeks ago we stumbled across some Dominique chicks at the feed store.  Dominiques are a heritage breed and it's the first breed of chicken we owned after we got married back in 1986.
I remember them as being a quiet and gentle breed, and good layers.  We'll know soon since we picked up 6 pullets while we were there.  
Oh, and just to top it off we got a couple of Americana pullets to go with them.  You have to have a couple of the easter eggers in the flock right?

We kept 4 chicks that kept from spring hatching are nearly mature.  We ended up with 1 rooster and 3 hens.  I'll get pics of them soon.

3 comments:

Tonia said...

Yeah little Chicks!! I didn't have any this year first time in a long time! lol

Queenacres said...

Tonia as much as I love the RIR's, I needed a reboot this year. These are a nice fix. :)

Unknown said...

Fun! You get to do all the work. I'm gonna watch! not. I threw a little party when we reached to 13th week without any cocci! I was too scared to do it any sooner after the 8th week. They're all doing great, minus 1 of the 2 Americauna Roos that injured his leg. Dwayne's having to help me put him into the tractor every day, to put antibiotics into his water. He got a little ballzy jumping off one of the coop rafters.