Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dove

For over a week, I have been seeing a pretty little ring-necked dove in the wee morning hours while doing barn chores.  I sort of kept his appearance to myself, since most people look at me sideways anyway.  I mean if you go around saying..."this lovely little dove flew down and was eating grain that I put out for him while I was still standing there".... well, you get those sideways looks.

I tend to internalize a lot.  I do a lot of pondering and thinking....not to get in the way of a lot of talking, of course!  But this little dove really touched me.  Rebekah had a pair of doves when she was young.  I think she was maybe 8 or 9 years old....we went to Canton Trade Days and she saw them there.  Of course I gave in and got them for her.  Eventually we moved them from their cage in her room (which was quite large) to a flight pen outside.   I don't know how old the doves were, I'm not even sure we did right by them....but she loved her doves until they died.

Ringnecked doves are domestic and are not like the ruddy doves you see outside.  They do not do well "in the wild".  This dove that has graced our presence is indeed a Ringnecked dove.  He appears to have some sort of wound on his chest, he has ruffeled feathers in a spot that don't smooth out.  But I won't catch him to do an exam.

His appearance was finally witnessed by some friends over the weekend....and then the next day Bob coaxed him onto his finger!

Yesterday I finally got a picture of him.......
Besides reminding me of my daughter, I think of the Biblical symbols that the dove represents.  I am happy to have this guy visit any time....and he is welcome to all the grain and cool water he can drink!

1 comment:

glenna said...

you are right he is lovely