Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Taking the Plunge

I have wanted a greenhouse for as long as I can remember.  Every year there is something keeping us from building one...usually time and/or money.  This year it is a necessity if I hope to grow any vegetables over the fall and winter.  We've made the plans, we have a lot of the materials...but it's just not going to happen yet.  Maybe in the spring.

So imagine my delight when I was in Lowe's this week and spotted a greenhouse display.  Most greenhouses I've seen for less than $250 could easily be built from scratch for much less.....or they just aren't worth carrying home.   This is another reason why I have never had a greenhouse.

I found one this week that I thought would suit our needs until we can build our own.  With just the two of us here now, I do not need to put up bushels of tomatoes.  At this point I just want to keep us having fresh produce year round without spending an arm and a leg....and be able to can a bit.  With the drought this year I think the thing I missed most is having fresh cucumbers every day.  Everything in the garden withered and died.  After talking with Bob, today I made the trek back to Lowe's and bought a greenhouse.
Okay, so maybe it's a Greenhut.  But the walls are a thick re-inforced vinyl...and the frame is steel.

It is small enough to be portable if you want to use it like a coldframe.......
I will give some product reviews once we get it together and full!  I am very excited about the prospect of being able to grow cucumbers and canteloupe over fall and winter....and I LOVE the thought of not having to bring plants into the house over winter!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Wheee, Lowes is 1/4 mile from me. Maybe I will have a greenhouse I have wanted for years.
I am going to look at them, may be just what I need.
Thanks for posting.

Queenacres said...

Carol, I think it is worth the $199 that it cost. But please keep in mind what works for us may not work for you. I suggest you see if they have a display model set up at your local Lowes and check it out. I love this one!