Friday, October 29, 2010

7 Dollars, 1 hour, a Year's Worth of Onions

Yellow onions are on sale at the grocery store here for .33/pound. This kind of sale happens about once a year, otherwise the onions usually run about triple that. So this morning I bought 21 pounds of onions....for 7 bucks.

Most of these I will chop and freeze...I start by cutting off the ends and peeling them...

Next I run them through the food processor to roughly chop them...I use the snack sized zippy bags to package them....1/2 cup in each bag is about 1 large onion...

Then I seal the small bags and place 25 of them into a larger bag, and mark the contents before putting them into the freezer...
75 packages in all...which should pretty much be a year's supply of chopped onions.  Of course I buy fresh if I need slices, but this is a huge time & money saver!

2 comments:

Mama Mess said...

This is a really great idea. My mom does this with onions and green peppers. We grow onions every year, but I use sooo many onions and they are quite expensive! I'll have to watch for sales and do this as well. I LOVE onions in everything!

Nickie said...

I wish I could freeze stuff like that! I tend to keep very little in my freezer---our power goes out too often and for too long to make keeping things in the freezer very wise. So it's either dehydraters and canning or fresh storange in a cool room. We don't eat a lot of onions but do use a few for chicken stock and a little flavoring now and then so I buy 25 cents in onions bulbs early spring and that gives us enough and plenty to share with my friends as well LOL Apparently onions like my dirt.