Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Broilers Part 3....another Chixperiment post

Our fall broilers began hatching around the first of September....with 2 very neat blue birds, 9 regular white or white with black flecks.  I am going to try to breed some blue broilers...we'll see what happens.  Anyway, the big birds are now free ranging and holding their own with the turkeys.  We are planning to pick up a tom turkey this week, we'll see how they manage after that!  Their growth rate is fantastic and they are foraging well.
It looks like the 2 blue birds are hens, if that proves to be true I'll be crossing them back to my original black roo, Angus.  If we manage to breed the blue birds and maintain their growth and health.....we may have a really cool Blue Broiler!!

Keep in mind, these are the 2 & 3rd generation of our chixperiment So I'm thinking that crossing them back to the original roo should help repeat the color.  The down side is that the original roo is not the growth rate contributor.  We'll see.  We call this a chixperiment for a reason!
Since the Sept hatching, we've had 2 other batches hatch out.  The #2 hatch was 5 healthy live chicks...growing quickly and nearly ready to move outside....
And now another round!

With only 4 more eggs in the bator...I'm not holding out for any more blues.....but I sure am thankful that we'll have meat!  The broilers have been on-and-off laying....and they are back in their off time. Meanwhile...the "security detail" watches on from the roof the the milking room!

1 comment:

Mama Mess said...

I love blue birds! I had several when I sold my chickens back in June. Being chicken-less isn't working for us though, so we'll be adding in about 6-8 pullet chicks in spring.