Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Drying up and getting wet...

Oh how I miss these days!!
Days when we had so much milk we carefully canned any excess.  We had plenty of milk for feeding the baby goats, making cheese, feeding pigs, and still plenty for the house!  But that was months ago.  Now we are in the process of drying up the does...only milking 2 of them now, and one is a first freshener.
Then this week we got rain.  Lots of rain!  3 days of rain, coupled with cooler weather, unhappy girlie goaties with muddy feet being stuck in the barn ... all that adds up to nearly no milk. 
Thankfully it's just a few weeks until we have does freshen and the milk will be flowing again.

2 comments:

Juli said...

Would you please share the step by step process for canning milk ? I know it's not recommended ... You can email it to me privately or however you like. I would greatly appreciate it.

Crowweaver@aol.com

Queenacres said...

When you can milk, be sure that the lids and jars are sterile. Strain your milk carefully, and heat it just to under boiling. Pour the milk into jars leaving 1/2" headroom. Pressure can at 15 pounds of pressure for 10 minutes. Be sure to vent your canner for 10 minutes before building pressure. Sometimes the milk will look "curdled" in the jars, that's just from the fat separating. If you have an immersion blender, just run it in the milk for a few seconds once you open the jars.

I use a lot of the canned milk with goat kids, so that we get to use the fresh. I also prefer the canned milk when making creamy soups or gravies.