Sunday, October 24, 2010

Am I being greedy?

I am torn.  I am a firm believer in doing things to your whole ability.  If there is something that I need to do, I find out how to do it and do it with everything I've got.  This is especially important for homesteaders.....you trust God and do your best.

Well, I just can not seem to get hams right.  We cure & smoke a very fine venison ham. 
We make outstanding bacon. 
But when it comes to raising our own hog and turning that big thigh into a nice ham....I have failed time and time again. 

Today I took the long ham from the pig we butchered last month....and I roasted it.  No curing, no brine, no smoke.  I just rubbed it good with salt, pepper, and garlic salt....and cut a few slits into the meat and shoved garlic cloves into the slits. 

It is scrumptious.  I will be putting this pork up in the freezer for tamales, enchaladas, bbq....and just really good pork sandwiches.  This is home grown pork... fed little more than milk from our goats and eggs from our chickens, and kitchen scraps.

But I am very disappointed with myself.  It is not ham. 

1 comment:

Mama Mess said...

I'm sorry you are having trouble. I've never smoked and cured a ham so I'm no help to you.