This is not a hard project by any means...but there are many steps. The first and most important step is to be sure you are only freezing fresh eggs. You never know when an egg is going to slip through and sit in the fridge for weeks...and those are not the ones you want to use for freezing. Testing an eggs' age is easy to do...Fill a clear glass container with cool water. Gently set an egg into the water. A really fresh egg will lay down on it's side. As the egg gets older, the air cell expands.....so an old egg will float on one end. (If it floats off the bottom of the container get rid of it quick!)
Here's an example of a good egg:
and here's a bad egg:
Spray each spot on the trays. I use standard ice cube trays and muffin pans. The ice cube trays will hold about 7 eggs each...2 cubes = 1 egg. Mix the eggs THOROUGHLY....you really need to emulsify the yolk and white together. Then spray your trays and pour the eggs in....
When they are frozen solid, you can pop them out pretty easily from the plastic trays...to get them out of the metal tins, flip the tin over and rub it for a minute with your hand. That will soften the edges enough so they slip right out...
Then I put 6 cubes in a bag and vac seal them. I have found that most recipes call for 3 eggs, so this number works for us.
For the disks, I put 2 in each package...so it's 4 eggs. An extra egg in a cookie recipe doesn't hurt...and if we're making scrambled eggs we usually do 4.
Just be sure to mark the package with the correct number of eggs per cube or disk. And don't forget the date. I have used these after being in the freezer for a year with no change in quality. Once I get a bunch of these packs made up, I put them in a clear plastic shoebox in the freezer so I can find them quickly and I know how many I still have. 4-5 dozen will usually get us through the "dry" times of winter.







4 comments:
I had never heard of such a thing! This is a great solution to what I can do with all my extra duck eggs (I have no problem selling chicken eggs, but people aren't familiar with duck eggs, as much)
Oh my, Tracy I freeze eggs every year!! I have never tried it with duck eggs....try a small batch first to be sure it works. Duck eggs are much harder to scramble to the emulsion.....just be sure and beat them good and I don't know why it wouldn't work.
This is a wonderful tutorial! I wish we could do that, but with hubby's health, we try to cut back on the yolks. 1 yolk allowed per 3 whites. I think we'll try this anyway! Thank you!!!
Great idea to use the ice cube trays, etc. I have frozen eggs before in small plastic containers but this would take up much less room in the freezer They look somewhat dark/discolored when they thaw but they cook up just like regular scrambled eggs, nice bright yellow. :)
Post a Comment