Sunday, November 13, 2011

Corned Beef Revisited

This time of year freezer space is prime real estate.  With all the butchering we do this time of year, plus holiday sales, or freezers fill up rather quickly.  Today I decided to can 3 of the corned beef briskets.  By canning them, I have meat ready to cook up at a moment's notice....plus I cleared some space for that 40 pound turkey that is destined to be on our Thanksgiving table. 
Each piece was about 3 pounds.....
Start by cutting them into manageable chunks....

Pack the chunks into sterilized jars to about 1" from the top....
Add enough water to cover the meat....

Cap the jars and process them in a pressure canner for 70 minutes.  When they are done you will have 10 of the ugliest pints of food you've ever seen in your life....but OH MY is it ever good!

2 comments:

by Chickory Blossom said...

oddly, i just bought a brisket...am puttingiit in your brine recipe today!!!

Queenacres said...

Canning it makes it more user friendly in this household with just the 2 of us.