We had a big day today. First thing we needed to do was get one of our store bought turkeys ready for brining and get it started. We cook 3 turkeys on Thanksgiving Day, this particular bird is one that Bob will be smoking. The brine I make for smoking a turkey is similar to the cure for making hams. Here are the ingredients...
I make 2 gallons of brine...starting with 1 cup of salt and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar mixed with 2 gallons of water. I put this on a low heat to dissolve the salt and sugar, then let it cool.
In a food grade bucket I add a good handful of each:
peppercorns
oregano
thyme
orange peel
cloves
pickling spices
sage
basil
Then quarter 2 lemons and 2 oranges, throw in a few sprigs of rosemary...and you will have something that looks like this:
Once the liquid portion of the brine has cooled, pour it into the bucket and mix well. Then submerge your turkey and use either a weighted plate or a water filled zippy bag to weight the bird and keep it submerged. I usually put the bird in breast side down the first day, then tomorrow I'll flip it over. Keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Next on the list for today was preparing our main turkey. We've raised this one ourselves and he has been treated with every comfort needed to keep him happy....even on the long hot days this summer, when I would go out and give him a shower to help him through the heat. He weighed in at 38 pounds this morning....
Due to his size, I could not fit him into my scalding tank. I had to pluck him one small section at a time. It was a chore indeed! I am thankful that we were able to raise him. I am thankful that he had a good life and a swift, humane death. I am thankful that the hard part is done! Look how great he looks now.
Judging by the thick layer of fat on his breast, he won't need much basting.....maybe just a bit of butter! He will be our bird for roasting and stuffing. Now THAT's a good looking turkey!






1 comment:
Mmmmm, that all looks sooooo good! With our move, we are headed back to IL for Thanksgiving so this is the first time in a looooong time I'm not cooking. I miss it alot!
Post a Comment