The last part of lamb butchering is now officially finished! The bacon was removed during the butchering process and we spent last week curing the meat.
The meat finished in the cure and was ready for the smoker over the weekend....
It doesn't take too long in the smoker due to the fact that it is not nearly as thick as pork bacon....but the flavor is certainly there!
I wrapped them up and put them into the fridge overnight before slicing....
And I only made it through 3 of the slabs and stopped slicing. I got HUNGRY! Now that's a stack of baacon!
3 slabs done, 3 to go. I wraped them in 8 oz portions....





5 comments:
You have no idea how hungry this makes me!!
That bacon looks amazing! How does the flavor compare to pork? I'm curious, because I hope to make goat bacon here some day - like next fall!
It certainly has lamb flavor, but has the saltiness, crispiness, and fattyness like the pork bacon does.
Very interesting! Is it hard to make? Where did you get detailed instructions? We recently purchased 3 piggies (one for butchering and two for breeding). They are only three weeks old, but I'd like to make my own bacon. Thanks for the idea!
Amy Queen-Edge
South Texas
Amy here's the post of the making of the bacon...you can follow the details from there.
http://queenacresonline.blogspot.com/2011/11/baaaacon.html
Post a Comment