Leo is our eldest barn cat. I use the term "our" very loosely. Personally, I believe he's Bob's cat...but since Bob is a die-hard cat hater he denies the accusation.
I do not hate cats. I do not love cats...but I love and admire the work of a fine barn cat. We try to keep at least 1 good barn cat at all times, preferably 2. Our barn cats are usually males...since it's cheaper to neuter than to spay...and all cats MUST be fixed. We feed our barn cats well....cat food, goat milk, and all the varmits they can catch. Barn cats learn quickly what is acceptable prey and what is not (enter the LGD).
Having said all that, I am a firm believer in pet rescue. If you want a good housepet, please adopt one in need of a good home...provide it with a good home, and don't let it make more. As a result you will get a loving companion, and an otherwise unwanted animal will have a good life.
Leo was an unwanted animal. We needed a rat killer. I have a friend that does cat rescue (which is how we ended up with Liberty the one-eyed-fattest-cat-in-the-universe)....and that's how Leo came to live with us. He's a big boy, quite hairy, and hates dogs. Man o man can he ever eliminate mice and rats. He's a killing machine.
Last year Leo went AWOL for a month or so. Fearing the worst, we got another cat (Captain Jack). Not long after that, Leo made his grand re-appearance. Then we had 3 cats. Bob's limit is 2. I keep insisting that Liberty the one-eyed-fattest-cat-in-the-universe doesn't count since she's not a barn cat. He graciously conceded especially since technically Liberty is Stephanie's cat....and surely she'll be taking her home soon.
Leo is a stunning cat and he does his job well. But if Bob's gone, he's outta here.
Bob has travelled more in the last 2 months than ever in our entire marriage. He was out of the country for 5 weeks this time. Leo left over a month ago.
I got another cat.
To be introduced at a later date....for now we will call him obnoxious grey kitten with much spunk.
Bob's been home for a few days....guess who showed back up.
Bob's not travelling any more. We can't afford the cat food.



No comments:
Post a Comment